A hearing aid is a complex electronic device that is sensitive to adverse environmental conditions. Exposure to high temperature, humidity, sweat, and especially aggressive substances such as earwax, adversely affects the operation of the device. In some cases, such exposure can lead to damage to the hearing aid. This is an unfortunate situation. After all, a person is left alone with hearing problems. In addition, it hits the budget. After all, the user will have to spend money on expensive repairs or buy a new model. Is it possible to avoid such a situation? Can I extend the life of my hearing aid? Yes, if you use and clean your devices properly!
Why is it important?
Hearing aids are indispensable assistants that keep you in touch with the world around you. Today there is a huge variety of models and types of devices. You can choose a device that not only restores hearing but also emphasizes your style and lifestyle. It all depends on your desires and individual characteristics of hearing loss.
However, hearing aids are not cheap devices. The more features there are, the higher the price. Therefore, any person wants to use them as long as possible. After all, like any electronic device, a hearing aid can fail.
In the event of a breakdown, you can return the device to the manufacturer’s repair center. But it’s better not to let that happen at all. Is it possible? Yes, as long as you properly care for your devices and follow all the recommendations of the audiologist. Thus, hearing aids will delight you with your favorite sounds and voices of loved ones for a long time.
Hearing aid care tips
Have you purchased a hearing aid and started using it? Excellent! Now your life will sparkle with new colors. Each new day will reveal the benefits of using the electronic device. You won’t even notice how it’ll become your friend and helper!
Hearing aids significantly improve the quality of life. Therefore, the longer they work, the better. The average service life of devices from leading manufacturers is 3-5 years. But you can make it last longer if you use and clean your devices properly. You’ll need special cleaning tools and supplies for it, which you can find at the hearing aid store.
The use of hearing aids is not much different from the use of other electronic devices such as smartphones, tablets, etc. Audiologists recommend following these tips:
- Protect the device from mechanical influences. Keep it out of the reach of children and pets
- Remove the device before going to the shower or pool. Moisture is deadly for an electronic device. This is not true for waterproof hearing aids. If you have these, then you can safely swim without taking them off. The main rule is to dry them thoroughly after use
- Remove the battery from your hearing aid at night. This’ll extend the life of the battery. If you have devices with batteries, then do not forget to put them on charge every night. You don’t want to end up in the middle of the work day with broken devices, do you?
- Do not disassemble your hearing aid or attempt to repair it yourself if it breaks. Take the device to a service center. First, you are unlikely to be able to fix the breakdown. Secondly, you may have service problems due to disassembling the device yourself
- Do not leave your hearing aid near sources of heat, X-rays, or electromagnetic radiation
- Turn off devices when you are not using them. If you are not going to use them for a long time, remove the batteries. Batteries should be stored in a cool, dry place
- Dry your devices every day. Even if you haven’t been exposed to rain, your sweat is detrimental to electronic devices. Purchase special dryers for hearing aids and place them there every night
- If you get your hearing aid wet, for example by being exposed to rain, remove the battery from the hearing aid and wipe it and the hearing aid dry. Then put the device in a drying container
- Clean your hearing aids regularly. It is important! Audiologists recommend cleaning from dust, dirt, and earwax at least once a week. Do not use water, thinner, or other cleaning agents!
The method of cleaning the device primarily depends on the type of hearing aid. If you have never done it, then consult an audiologist. Let a specialist show you how to properly clean your devices. Well, after that you can do it yourself.
The outer part of the hearing aid is afraid of dust and dirt. Wipe the case with a dry cloth or special wipes.
Filters and gaskets protect the microphone compartment and internal parts of a modern hearing aid. These items need to be changed regularly. Therefore, purchase the necessary consumables in advance so that you have them with a margin.
The inside or earbud of your hearing aid should be cleaned of earwax every day. Use brushes. Most often, they come with the device. Otherwise, you can always find them in the hearing aid store.
Silicone thread is used to clean the channels. After cleaning and disinfection, hearing aids must be dried. This is where hearing aid dryers come in handy again.
If you do not plan to use your devices, then turn them off and open the battery compartments. This’ll extend the life of the batteries. Be aware that hearing aids often attract the attention of children or pets. To avoid unpleasant and dangerous situations, take care of the storage location of devices. The devices should be stored in a sealed case in a dry and cool place out of the reach of children and pets.
Follow the above recommendations and then your devices will delight you for many years!