Living with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome can be difficult but it is manageable. The “suicide disease” leads to chronic pain in an area for an individual. The area that is impacted can spread leading to pain in numerous areas. 85 percent of patients see a decrease in pain while the other 15 percent do not see a reduction. Each woman is different and might respond to various treatments. A painkiller that works for one person might not reduce pain at all for another. Opioids are a perfect example as some patients see pain decrease while others do not.
Around 75 percent of individuals suffering from Complex Regional Pain Syndrome are women. There is very little known as to why this syndrome occurs as it has been very difficult to pinpoint a cause. The reason can be that the condition looks very similar to other chronic pain syndromes to some healthcare professionals.
Building a team of medical professionals for your body and mind is essential. Anxiety and depression can impact your recovery along with your quality of life overall. There are going to be tough days but putting this into perspective can be so important. Progress has been made in clinical trials along with new methods of treating CRPS. Vagus Nerve Stimulation is a great example of a groundbreaking treatment. The Spero Clinic has a full-service treatment program for new patients.
Education on your condition is so important when you are trying to find relief. Battling symptoms can be difficult as certain ones seem to be tied to one another. Insomnia is a great example as a lack of sleep can lead to anxiety which can then morph into depression.
Physical therapy could be one of the most important aspects of treatment. Muscle death from a lack of use can hinder your ability to move normally long-term. Therapy can be painful at times but learning how to deal with this pain is another important aspect of treatment.
Keep Your Mental Health A Priority
CRPS is nicknamed the “suicide disease” for good reason. The Spero Clinic notes,” If you are experiencing chronic nerve pain and are at the point of giving up please believe us when we say there is hope.” The number of people who battle depression with chronic pain can be immense. The fact that some patients are treatment-resistant might lead them to feel hopeless. You do not want to become another statistic by trying to put on a brave face instead of getting the help you need. Seeking professional help might be as easy as asking the doctor you trust to help treat this syndrome.
Mental health for those helping you daily can be imperative. You do not want the mental health of a family member to decline immensely due to caring for you. Being realistic about demands or even being polite can go such a long way. Manners can be difficult to handle when you are dealing with pain every single day. Putting a focus on treating those around you better can make a huge difference in how you are treated.
Addiction could become an issue as some suffering from this chronic pain condition look for an escape. Opioids are used to treat some but for others, they do not reduce the pain. Coping with drugs or alcohol is a very slippery slope. Addiction along with chronic pain can wreak havoc on your mental health in a matter of months.
Seek professional help or look into a chronic pain support group online. There could even be a group that meets locally depending on where you live. Large cities tend to have more access to these groups due to the population of people suffering. Those living in a smaller city might have to settle for an online support group. Online groups might give a person the opportunity to open up when compared with being face-to-face with a group.
Trying To Live A Normal Life
Managing your condition should be a focus so you can live as normal of a life as possible. Certain days might be too painful which should not discourage you. Enjoying the days when your pain is manageable is so important. Use these days as motivation when you are having one of those tough days with severe pain. With the right support system in place, you would be surprised as to the quality of life you can live with CRPS.
Complex Regional Pain Syndrome should not result in an individual’s suicide with the options for treatment currently. Try starting cognitive behavioral therapy as this has shown individuals a new way to think when dealing with pain. Women are impacted by this syndrome at higher rates than men which is why those suffering need to band together to support one another.